Saturday, October 18, 2008

shades and cash...mere

so i'm in new jersey for the weekend (everybody say yaaay), visiting my mum and basically taking a quick last-autumn breath away from the city. it's quite beautiful this time of year, probably one of my favorite times, because the leaves give their last burst of color before floating towards the ground...i remember driving back and forth from cornell during fall break, absorbing the rows of vermillion, canary, maple, pumpkin, and viridian along the highway...this was the pick-me up to the downside of almost failing a class......

alas, i digress. i'm getting to the good part about my shades.

as my mom picks me up from the station, the sun is blaring through the car windowshield and i unfold my 3.I shades, slickly framed with canary enamelled wires...i put them on, and my, how the leaves on the trees change from good to f*ckin great. gorgeous. explosions of color that make you go whoa. it's magical. i mean, really...i never thought nature was this pretty.

then i take them off and realize that my view of the leaves was simply glorified by the tinting of my frames. because what i actually saw was so much duller...flat...not whoa-worthy. like, wtf.

and i was bummed! because, what i had seen was just a fantastical-heightened version of nature thru "rose colored glasses," if you will...it had enhanced my viewing pleasure so much that i believed it to be real...and to realize that the reality of it was subpar was needless to say, disappointing. a bit sad.

and so i must reconcile, for the gazillionth time, the fine black lining that separates reality from fantasy. we can perhaps believe all we want, thus creating our own fantasy, and convince people to believe in it too, until we ourselves take off the shades to really see how it is. and sometimes, it ain't so pretty.

and another thing...i cannot find my cashmere fingerless "opera" gloves, col. Flesh. now would be the perfect time to wear them, as outside is transitioning to official sweata weather, yet inside my room it's fast forwarded to antarctica.

help.

No comments: